Who this book is for:
This book is written primarily to help owners and operators of self-hosted WordPress websites to avoid common errors when selecting, purchasing, and working with WordPress themes. (We’ll get into what “self-hosted” means in the “Before We Get Started “chapter.)
What you’ll get from reading this book:
- Explain what a WordPress theme is, does, and doesn’t do.
- Show you how to choose a free, premium or custom theme—that looks good and works well—for you or your client.
- Explain what happens when you install, activate or delete themes.
- Show how to protect your website and data with theme maintenance and backups.
- Explain what to plan for when switching themes.
- Show how to test a new theme.
- Show how to remove themes, and explain why you should not store old themes.
- Go over ways and best practices to work with theme developers.
- Learn how to troubleshoot your theme.
- Get answers to most frequently asked questions (FAQs).
- And more!
No coding required! There are areas where I explain thing that happen in the code or database, but you don’t need to know to code. And you don’t have to actually do any coding to be successful with this book. I promise!
Notice of rights
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, email the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notice of liability
Although the author and editor have made every effort to ensure that the information in this book was correct at press time, the author and editor do not assume and hereby disclaim any liability to any party for any loss, damage, or disruption caused by errors or omissions, whether such errors or omissions result from negligence, accident, or any other cause.
Before you engage in the activity chapters (8 through 17) always back up your entire website, including the database (see chapter 7.)
All product names and services mentioned in this book are used as editorial content and to benefit the reader as well as the company, product or service with no intention of infringement of the trademark. At time of writing, the author has an affiliation with one of the companies mentioned in this book. It is clearly stated in the Resources section, and in no way are you required to interact or engage with said company in order to be successful with this book. I have made ever effort to offer a comparable non-affiliated option.
Erratum / Errata
To report errors, typos, corrections, contact me.
Original text copyright © 2014, Tristan Denyer.
Updated October 2016, Tristan Denyer.
All right reserved.
Editor: Marci Daniels (MarciDaniels.com)
Interior layout & cover design: Tristan Denyer.